Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Preschool's Effect on the SWEET Life

I only lived three of the five aspects of the SWEET Life today, so I'll need to focus on the other two more tomorrow.

Monday nights it's really hard for me to get enough sleep because my sleep is squeezed at both ends. I work until 9 p.m. Monday nights and come home and do as much as I can to prepare for Tuesday mornings. Tuesdays we all have to be up, ready and out of the house by 8:30, which is new for us. So, no, I didn't sleep enough, again, but I napped today with Maya and will try harder to go to bed earlier tonight.

I forgot to drink a tall glass with each meal, but made up for it, so I'm on track.

Because of the morning rush, we typically have cold cereal, fruit and coffee on Tuesdays. After dropping the girls off at daycare and preschool, I felt I needed some protein and I was at a cafe. What do cafes have with protein? Ham and cheese croissant, mmm! But not so healthy. Maya and I went out to lunch at a new cafe (the Little House Cafe at the corner of Blanding and Oak St.), which was delicious! We shared a croque monsieur (grilled cheese with ham) and some of the best fruit salad I've ever had. It also came with a green salad, and I had a natural grape soda. We each had a delicious, fudgey cookie as a reward for eating well. Unfortunately, the sandwich was sadly small, about half the size of a regular sandwich because of the bread used, so I was still hungry. At home, I snacked on a small handful of peanuts (all we had), and since I still haven't gone to the grocery store, the only other thing I could find to eat was . . . Halloween candy. Ooohhh, too much candy. I was better at dinner. We were invited over to my mother-in-law's house where we had chicken, potatoes, couscous and persimmons. A bit lacking in vegies, but I was a guest, so the food choices were not mine.

Tuesday & Thursday are my quick and dirty strength training days. This started a couple months ago when Maya started preschool, which meant that I didn't have much time to exercise in the morning. However, early morning is still the best time for me to get it done. So I throw on some clothes, go to the family room and do toning exercises, one minute per muscle group. It took about 40 minutes when I started, but now that I'm used to it, it takes less than 30 minutes. I was afraid that 30 minutes only twice a week wouldn't be enough to make a difference; however, I've noticed that in the past two months I've gotten stronger and my muscles look more toned. In the end, I'm really happy that such a short workout can create a noticeable improvement.

Again, Maya napped, so I got my tranquility. However, there were things I should have been doing around my house, rather than sitting at the computer.

How do I feel?
Strangely, my shins feel tight, in front, just above the ankles. I think it was the plie squats with a calf raise, although I hadn't really thought of that as working the shin muscles. I keep straightening my feet down to try to stretch them out. Otherwise, today was not a stellar day sleep-wise or food-wise. Fortunately, we're all tired and going to bed early. Tomorrow I'll try to eat healthier.

No comments:

Post a Comment